Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Amanda Hare (5.20.07)

THANK YOU!

As this was my last Reading Words event before moving back to the wilds of Canada, I would like to say THANK YOU! to everyone who came out and made it a wonderful event to behold.

I would also like to thank the venues who have hosted us and especially Vade Mecvm for providing a permanent home to our willing and willful words!

Most of all, I would like to thank Jerry who I could not have done Reading Words without. His support has made this event a success and I thank him deeply for it.

Applause to you all!

NIHON
By Amanda Hare

Last blossoms floating
Amid scurrying people
Beauty Unnoticed


IDENTICAL TWINS
By Amanda Hare

Written for Reading Words challenge May 20/07: Write from the perspective of a piece of furniture


It’s been weeks-no, I think months since you came to me. You always go to my sister although I can’t see why. I mean, look at her, her skirt is so frayed and dirty it’s an embarrassment to be in the same room. Her left cheek has become so soiled that I wonder if she is trying to look like a street urchin.

And you. You cuddle up to that dirty cheek like a child to its disgusting blanket that it has dragged around through all kinds of filth and slime. Can’t you see how disgustingly dirty she’s become?

Look at her left arm too. Ugh! How can you stand to sit there like that, draped with your book over that arm which isn’t so much green anymore as it is gray. Doesn’t it smell? Doesn’t she smell? I think I can smell her even way over here on the other side of the room. That horrible spray you put on her only covers up the underlying stench of sweat and perfume and, and, food that you have ground into her fabric and foam. There’s something else though I can’t figure out. Her seat has become so warped to one side. It looks so – unsymmetrical! How can you stand it???

Oh heavens!

Don’t turn your face into her like that! No! Don’t! She’s probably infested with mites that are crawling all over your skin right now!

Ugh! Don’t wipe your tears on that wretched left cheek of hers! Why are you crying anyway? It’s that stupid book you are always looking at, isn’t it? I don’t understand why you insist on making yourself cry with those stupid things.

Why don’t you turn on that television thing in the corner? You always seem to find something to laugh about when you watch it. However, if I may suggest, you should come over and sit in me to watch it. I mean, my sister is in the sun over there and it gets into your eyes and makes it difficult to see the television.

Speaking of sun, look how faded my sister has become, sitting there in the sun—That’s it! That’s the other smell! Sunlight! She stinks of sunlight!

Hey! Where are you going? Come and sit in the corner over here, in the nice dark shade! Hey! Listen to me!

Wha-? Who’s laughing? Who is that giggling? Are you laughing at me? How dare you! I am the queen of this room!

Look at me – I am lovely and erect. The nap on my fabric is perfect and my colours are still rich and vibrant even after all these years.

I am not hard and crusty! My cushion is firm—not hard! I am still desirable, damn you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home